1) What am I being transformed INTO?
- Genesis 1:27 So God created man in His own image; He created him in the image of God; He created them male and female.
- 2 Corinthians 3:18 We all, with unveiled faces, are looking as in a mirror at the glory of the Lord and are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory; this is from the Lord who is the Spirit.
2) What part do I play in that transformation process?
It takes action on my part.
a) Does God desire for me to grow in my understanding of Him, to know His heart?
- John 17:3 This is eternal life: that they may know You, the only true God, and the One You have sent—Jesus Christ.
- Jeremiah 9:24 But the one who boasts should boast in this, that he understands and knows Me…
b) In order to grow I need to ______________________ a closer relationship with Him.
Jeremiah 29:13 You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.
Proverbs 2:1-5 (Solomon wrote) My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, listening closely to wisdom and directing your heart to understanding; furthermore, if you call out to insight and lift your voice to understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it like hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and discover the knowledge of God.
1 Peter 2:2-3 Like newborn infants, desire the pure spiritual milk, so that you may grow by it for your salvation, since you have tasted that the Lord is good.
3) So I have to spend time WITH God … getting to ____________ -- not just know ____________________ HIM.
4) How do I pursue a closer relationship with God so He can transform me?
_____________________________________Meeting regularly with other believers
In this session we are going to focus on Knowing God through His Word.
5) Do I believe the Bible is true?
- John 17:17 (Jesus said) Sanctify them by the truth; Your word is truth.
- Psalm 119:160 The entirety of Your word is truth, and all Your righteous judgments endure forever.
6) Is it important to read / study the Bible? Why?
- Deuteronomy 6:5-9 Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. These words that I am giving you today are to be in your heart. Repeat them to your children. Talk about them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Bind them as a sign on your hand and let them be a symbol on your forehead. 9 Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
- Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light on my path.
- Colossians 3:16 Let the message about the Messiah dwell richly among you, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, and singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, with gratitude in your hearts to God.
Psalm 119:11 I have treasured Your word in my heart so that I may not sin against You.
Jesus used Scripture when He was tempted:
Luke 4:4 But Jesus answered him, “It is written: Man must not live on bread alone.”
Luke 4: 8 And Jesus answered him, “It is written: Worship the Lord your God, and serve Him only.”
Luke 4:9-12 [note that the enemy also knows scripture] So he took Him to Jerusalem, had Him stand on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down from here. For it is written: He will give His angels orders concerning you, to protect you, and they will support you with their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.”
And Jesus answered him, “It is said: Do not test the Lord your God.”
7) How do I get scripture into my heart to help me grow?
Record a Bible verse with your phone and play back as you drive or do chores.
Write a verse on a card and tape it where it is visible or write it on your mirror with a dry erase marker. Erase a word each day and continue to write it
Make a YouVersion “verse picture”; Meditate on that verse during the day.
Look at songs that are scripture: Can you think of any?
Lamentations 3:22-23 Because of the Lord’s faithful love we do not perish, for His mercies never end. They are new every mornin; great is Your faithfulness!
Psalm 119:105 “Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path”
"Thy Word" - Song by Amy Grant (https://youtu.be/FS1LAc5DSCU?t=6s)
The Secret Place
Mattherw 6:6 But when you pray, go into your private room, shut your door, and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you
9) What if I don't understand what I read?
PRAY for God to give me UNDERSTANDING as I read.
Even though some portions may appear difficult to understand, as I am honest and open to Him, He will reveal His Word to me when I need to understand it.
Deuteronomy 29:29 The hidden things belong to the Lord our God, but the revealed things belong to us and our children forever, so that we may follow all the words of this law.
1 Corinthians 2:12-14 Now we have not received the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who comes from God, so that we may understand what has been freely given to us by God. We also speak these things, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual things to spiritual people. But the unbeliever does not welcome what comes from God’s Spirit, because it is foolishness to him; he is not able to understand it since it is evaluated spiritually.
9) Do I currently have a PLAN for Bible reading?________________________
CHALLENGE: Ask God to lead you into how you can spend more / better time with Him this week.
YouVersion devotional suggestion:
- Listening to God - 7 day reading plan
Below is the live recording for Session 4 recorded on September 30, 2018